Monday, April 18, 2011

Clutter

When I was younger I would clean out my closet several times a year.  I can't stand clutter.  I really can't stand clutter anywhere but I especially can't stand it in my closet, on my desk, or in my car.  So in anticipation of the yard sale for The MaDee Project and because I was overdue for a good closet cleaning, I did some major damage this past weekend.  To my closet that is.  

(NOTE: You know you are into your blogging when in the middle of a project you think, "I should take pictures of this b/c it may be my next blog post.")       

The absurdity of this whole project was what I uncovered.  I have too many clothes!  I pulled out every thing in my closet.  Every shoe, shirt, scarf, dress, I mean every thing.  Once it was out, I vacuumed up every dust ball and re-oraganized everything.  I tried on almost every pair of pants and then looked in the mirror to see if they were a "keeper".

Anyway, back to the absurdity, I had 34...yes, 34 pairs of jeans (not pants, just jeans).  Now I know your first thought is, "Do you wear all of those jeans?"  Well no, of course not.  How could anyone possibly wear that many pairs of jeans? The thing is, the majority of the jeans fit and felt pretty good actually.  It's sad though that I really only wear the couple of pairs that are on top when really I have so many choices.  I would look at some of them and think "Wow, I forgot I even had these."  That is so sad to admit, yet so true.  But guess what?  I was able to let go of quite a few pairs and my closet shelves are thanking me.  Woo hoo.  Yay me!

The ridiculous pants piles
As for shoes, it's just as bad.  I won't go into too much detail but below is a look into the madness.  Ryan looked at my tennis shoe collection (on the left) and just shook his head.  What?!  Is that bad?  I told him I have a purpose for all of my tennis shoes.  I have work-out aka walking tennis shoes.  I have tennis shoes that look good with certain pairs of pants.  I have tennis shoes that I work in the yard in.  I will say, however, that I have only bought 1 pair of new tennis shoes since being married so I am pretty good at getting a lot of wear out of my tennis shoes.  Here I go, convincing myself that it is all ok.

  
In the middle of the process Ryan came in and told me we were leaving in 30 minutes to go to dinner.  As you can imagine, I was not too pumped about this because I was knee deep in clothes and really not ready to just stop everything when I was on a roll!  However, it turned out to be a good thing because once I got back with a full belly and a few drinks in me, I was much more willing to get rid of stuff. Ha! I ended up with a pretty decent pile of stuff to donate to the yard sale and I have once again de-cluttered, atleast for another couple of months.  Yay!

Here is the finished product!  What do ya think?  It's organized by season & color. I think it looks even better in person. But sorry, none of you are allowed in my closet. :)  Oh, and yes, Ryan has his own closet.  No sharing allowed here!

Now...time to go shopping... :) I kid. I kid.

But I do feel SO much better. Let me just say, spring projects at the Harper household are getting KNOCKED OUT this year. It's going to be a fabulous summer! Bring. It. On.


My donation pile!


1 comment:

  1. hahaha you would be ashamed of my closet! I have about half the clothes in there compared to yours. =) As for shoes...I won't tell you how few pairs I own- mainly b/c I hate shopping. Mine and R's closets are going to have to get attacked (along w/ the rest of the house) prior to our baby coming. Like you, I hate, hate, hate clutter and R is a complete slob! Drives me nuts when I see all of his clutter piles. =)

    ReplyDelete