Sunday, December 11, 2011

2 Generations

So I have a pretty cool family story that I think is worth sharing. 

My Dad has 1 sibling, a sister.  When my Dad was a freshman at Virginia Tech his sister, Jenny, was born.  So yes, if you do the math correctly, they were 18 years apart.  That's a pretty big age difference.  My Dad says he never really remembers living at home with Jenny except of course during the summers.  Since my Dad got married the summer between his junior & senior year of college, he never really lived at home much with his sister. 

You would think living & growing up that way, they wouldn't have a tight bond like most siblings do that are closer in age.  However, my Dad & Jenny are pretty darn close considering, especially now.  My brothers and I really don't remember Jenny without Greg (her husband) since they've been together since high school.  They have been ever-present in our lives and they have been so much more like siblings or cousins to us, more so than an aunt & uncle.

But here is the cool part of this story...

My Dad has 3 children, my 2 olders brothers & myself.   My oldest brother was born in 1979, my other brother, 1981, and myself, 1983.  So we're all 2 years apart.

Fast forward to 1999 when Jenny & Greg had their 1st son.  Then in 2001, they had their 2nd son.  And in 2003 they had their 1st daughter.

Do the math correctly again and you'll realize that both Dad and his sister had 2 boys and then a girl.  And they had them all 20 years apart from us, their older cousins.  How crazy is that?!  I find that story so cool.  What are the chances that we would all be exactly 2 years apart from our siblings and 20 years apart from our cousins?!

Everyone is always so intrigued by this story when we share it.  It really is crazy how much our families match up.  I personally find it very neat that we have 3 much younger cousins.  I remember each day they were born & I remember holding them all as babies.  I have fond memories of baby-sitting all 3 of them.  They were able to be ring bearers and a flower girl in our weddings.  We are able to go to their athletic games and school plays and follow their lives as they grow up.  And now as we (the 1st generation) are bringing children into this world, they will be able to be to them in the future, what we are to them now.  That makes me smile.

It's such a wonderful, never-ending, perfect circle.






There are plenty more pictures, but these were 5 I could easily find for this blog post.  I feel like we don't change too much, but Josh, Seth, and Sarah have changed so much over the years. :)  Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment